Mental Illness in India
· Mental illnesses are one of the leading causes of years lived with disability in Indian Men and Women.
· Nearly 5% of India’s population (i.e. more than 7 Crore people) suffers from common mental disorders, such as depression and anxiety.
· Depression is prevalent in 30 out of 1000 people in urban areas like Mumbai.
· India recorded the highest rate of major depression in the world at 36%.
· It can interfere with a person’s ability to work, make relationship difficult and destroy quality of life. In severe cases, it leads to suicide, causing 850,000 deaths a year.
· Suicide in the 2nd leading cause of death among those in the age group of 18 to 29 years.
· 37% of those who died by suicide had a mental disorder.
· The prevalence rate of child and adolescent psychiatric disorders is around 6% in the community and around 23% in schools in India.
· Obstacles in mental illness treatment in India:
Ø Stigma related to mental illness
Ø Delayed treatment seeking (preference to religious and faith healers)
Ø Lack of awareness in general public
· Slowly but surely, awareness regarding mental health issues is rising along with acceptance for mental health professionals. A greater number of people are willing to reach out to a mental health professional for a myriad range of problems ranging from psychosis to child problems to adjustment issues.
· Medical advancements over the years ensure that the best treatment options are available to the mentally ill.
#StayHome #Coronavirus #FightwithCorona
#RehabCentreforDrugAddicts #RehabCentreforAlcoholAddicts #RehabilitationCentreMumbai #DeaddictionCentreMumbai #NashMuktiKendraMumbai #RehabilitationCentreforAlcoholAddicts #RehabilitationCentreforDrugAddicts
For Help Please Call on – 9172909091.